Saturday, October 24, 2015

Capes

"... and I've been trying so hard just to help my friends and save everyone, but no matter what I do nothing changes, and I can't be anyone's hero ever, so--"
I stop when I hear his voice on the other line, but I can't make out what he says.
"What?" I choke out.
"You're my hero," he says softly.
I let out a breath of air, and it sounds like a sad, exasperated laugh.
"Well..." I start.
I want to shout and tell him no I'm not, I'm just his special, emotional burden and that I haven't been able to help him once.  I want to sob, because I'm not a hero at all, and he'll figure that out one of these days.  And change his mind.
And I want to cry, because what if I am his hero?  What if I have saved him?  He would be the first.
I don't know what to say.  Usually I can foresee what he might tell me in certain situations, but this comment of his was totally unexpected.  I've been caught off guard.
I'm not a hero, love.  I just pull on a cape and tell jokes.

No comments:

Post a Comment